CASE STUDY: DCMS AND QA GETTING WOMEN INTO CYBER ROLES
Following a strategy review, Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) chose QA to:
- create a flexible innovative programme to attract women into cyber security software developer roles;
- work with Industry providers to place successful candidates into employment;
- attract women looking to reskill or return to the workforce to attend the programme.
How we have supported DCMS
Through mid- to late 2019, we worked with DCMS to:
- create a 12-week bespoke Cyber Security software developer programme;
- work with industry partners in a number of sectors to identify recruitment demand and encourage them to adopt the programme, which was match funded by DCMS;
- design, launch and deliver a blended 12-week programme, targeted at career changers and returners from career breaks.
Since starting delivery in late 2019, we have delivered:
- Two cohorts of female learners, totalling 17 learners all who then took up employment with industry providers;
- Improved in-house diversity and cyber security skills, and each cohort delivers:
- Targeted recruitment and learning ensuring new hires have the right skills;
- Improved diversity and broader awareness of this model;
- Two cohorts of women now working in critical defence companies supporting the national effort.